Saturday, December 7, 2013

Cheater Chili



The weather here in Arkansas is cold and we just had a front of sleet and snow come through so this is the perfect weather to make my Cheater Chili. I call this Cheater Chili because all it really is is a doctored up box chili mix. I figure if they will put all of the essential spices together for me and I can add to it to make it my own, why not? I hope you enjoy this one. Please leave a comment if you make a different version by adding other ingredients I'd love to try a different version!

Enjoy!
Monlat

Ingredients:

I box of your favorite chili kit
1 lb of ground beef
1 can of red kidney beans
1 can of black beans
1-14 1/2 oz can of diced tomatoes 
1-15 oz. can of tomato sauce
1/2-1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 white onion diced




Directions:

Cook the ground beef with the onion and black pepper


While the beef is cooking drain and rinse the two cans of beans.


Add the beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and all of the ingredient packets EXCEPT for the ground chili pepper and salt packets from the kit, but including the packet of masa to the ground beef. Mix well, then mix in  2 cans of water using the15 oz sauce can. I like to use crushed red pepper flakes in my chili. I don't really like the taste of the preground red chili. So I add the salt packet to the red chili flakes and grind it myself with a mortar and pestle. The flakes will not turn into fine powder, but will blend into the chili nicely. The instructions say to add the masa at the end, but because I usually cook this in the oven or the slow cooker I add it right away.


You can cook this chili one of three ways. I usually use the oven or slow cooker since I love to make things early and not have to worry about babysitting it. An added bonus is that this chili will make your house smell awesome!

1. On the stove top according to the instructions and let simmer for about 30 minutes.

2. In the oven on 350* for about an hour. 

3. In the slow cooker on low for about 6-8 hours.


I serve this chili over tortilla chips or corn chips (Fritos) or with my Southern cornbread recipe. We like to gild the lily with shredded cheese and sour cream. 







No comments:

Post a Comment