Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Potato Soup


This is a very easy potato soup recipe that was given to me by a wonderful friend that I met during our time in Japan. Ms. Colleen was my neighbor in the apartment tower that we lived in. She was one of the first people to come by and introduce herself and offer help with anything we needed while we adjusted. Ms. Colleen and her husband Dan became close friends to my family and my girls loved them as well as any blood related grandparents. We lost Ms. Colleen to cancer a few years ago and I miss her terribly. She shared a few recipes with me over the years and they are all yummy, so whenever I make one of her them I think of her and I am so glad that I have her recipes to remember her by. 



Ingredients:

5 lbs of russet potatoes (cut into cubes)
1 white onion-chopped
8 cups of water
Chicken bouillon granules (2 Tbsp + 2tsp) or 8 bouillon  cubes
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of ground black pepper (1/2 tsp if you don't like a stronger pepper flavor)
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream


 Tip: Don't buy one of those 5 lb bags of potatoes-you'll be peeling those suckers forever!! Buy 5-6 decent sized russet potatoes it will be MUCH faster!


Directions:

Peel, dice, and rinse potatoes,


Add all of the ingredients except for the heavy cream into a large pot and bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Then turn down and simmer for 40-50 minutes until the potatoes are cooked completely and are very fork tender.



Using a immersion blender blend until smooth. If you don't have a immersion blender you can blend in batches in a blender. 


Add the delicious heavy cream.


Thoroughly mix in the cream.


I like to gild the lily a bit by adding crumbled bacon and chopped green onions on top.


My kiddos also like to add a little shredded cheddar to theirs and that is yummy as well. If you want to be fancy you can saute shrimp in a little garlic and olive oil and add that to the top and that is a fabulous addition! Pinkies up!

Enjoy!
Monlat




No comments:

Post a Comment