Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pulled Pork

I love pulled pork. Being a military wife I have lived in a few places and I have eaten pulled pork in Oklahoma, Texas, and naturally my home state of Arkansas. I've only had one not so great pulled pork and it was at a Texas chain that shall remain nameless. The only thing that I enjoyed in that place was the sweet tea and that's just sad... Anyway, I have a super simple pulled pork recipe that is very similar in flavor to the Pioneer Woman (Goddess) Ree Drummond's pulled pork recipe. Ree has 2 versions of her pulled pork and her one with the soda and adobe peppers is great if you like a lot of heat. My version is a little tamer in the spiciness department, I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to heat. You can use either Dr. Pepper or Coke (NOT DIET!!) in this version. My husband hates Dr. Pepper but he loves this recipe because it does not have a cola taste at all after it cooks. You can also use this same recipe but substitute a whole large chicken for the pork butt. 

Ingredients:

5 lb pork butt (bone in)
1 small onion-chopped
Chicken Fajita Rub-enough to generously cover entire pork butt
1 can Dr. Pepper
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic


Okay guys, if you haven't heard of or tasted Bolner's line of spices are you in for a treat. I stock up every time I go to Texas because I can't imagine life without it. I had family mail it to me when I lived in England. Yes, they are that good. I am not being paid or compensated in any way for these statements, I just love this product that much. But if  someone at Bolner's happens to see this and wants to send me a lifetime supply I wouldn't turn it down! Okay, I'd accept even just 1 free bottle! Now if you're interested in giving these a try click on the link here and you can check out their web site where you can order your own. The brisket, carne guisada, and fajita seasonings are all awesome too. Alright,enough of the free infomercial. 

Now here's the hard part. Pour the soda in the slow cooker, throw in the onion and garlic and stir around. Very generously season the pork butt and then put into the liquid. That's it! Leave in the cooker for 6-8 hours and it will literally fall apart in the pot. 



In my house we eat this two ways. One day it will be on a buttered and toasted bun with BBQ sauce like this:


Most of the time I also have homemade coleslaw, but it was just more than I could manage for last night's dinner. It was just one of  those nights...On the second go round we eat it as a pork taco with pico de gallo, lettuce, and sour cream. 

Happy Eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment