Monday, September 2, 2013

Sunday Roast



I first learned to make this recipe from my mother when I was a newlywed and boy did it impress the hubby. In the beginning I always said that hubby married me for my brains and not for my cooking skills. Well, brains, love, and lust does not fill the belly! Like many newly married couples we were poor students so it was either learn to cook or live off of ramen noodles and cold cut sandwiches. After growing up with a mother who could cook well and never having to wonder if I would have a tasty meal I decided that maybe learning to cook some of the basics would be the best way forward. See, told you I was smart! This roast also has the added boon of feeding us for a few days. My mom's recipe didn't include rosemary, chopped garlic, or fresh mushrooms so you can easily leave these two out and still have a great roast. You can serve it over rice or noodles, or just add a side salad or veggies and it's a new meal. This also makes awesome sandwiches with mayo and sliced tomatoes. This started out as a recipe for the electric skillet or oven but I now make it in the crock pot. I hope that you enjoy this super simple, but delicious recipe.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 to 3 lb beef roast
1 c. All purpose flour
1 tsp. each of salt, pepper, and garlic powder
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 pkg. onion soup mix
1 tsp. chopped garlic
3 sprigs fresh rosemary (can substitute 1 tsp. dried rosemary)
1 pkg button mushrooms

Directions:


Mix together the flour, salt,pepper, and garlic powder and completely coat meat . I like to do this in a plastic shopping bag when I am doing large pieces of meat it makes it super easy and you just toss the bag after-easy clean up!


Heat oil in a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet until oil is hot enough that you can see the waves in the oil. Brown roast on all sides.


While the roast is browning add the can of cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, garlic, fill the soup can 3/4 full of water to add,  and one sprig of rosemary. Mix well. If you are using dried rosemary add it here.


The roast should look like this when completely seared.

Place roast in crock pot and rotate in sauce so that it is completely covered ending with the fat side up. Add the last two sprigs of rosemary on top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-5 depending on you crock. 


Voila! Easy and tasty!



No comments:

Post a Comment