Monday, September 2, 2013

The Crockin' Girls by Nicole Sparks and Jenna Marwitz




We have a winner ya'll! One of the things that I really want to do with this blog is to pick cookbooks that I really like and work my way through them completely. This is it, this will be the first cookbook that I will make almost everything in it. I'm sure that there will be one or two that I decide to skip and I will note which one and why as I get to it. Although, at this point I can't imagine which one I would forgo as they all look so wonderful. This book literally had me doing the happy dance in the bookstore this weekend! I got one strange look from the guy in the Sci/Fi section but I didn't care, I had just found what I think will be the best slow cooker cookbook that I have ever seen. I flipped slowly through the pages getting more and more excited with each lovely picture. Each recipe has an accompanying picture which is one of my favorite features in a good cookbook, and boy is the photography wonderful. Now nothing can be perfect can it? After flipping through this wonderful book and doing the happy dance I turned the book over to see the list price...Insert the sound of a car screeching to a halt here. Ya'll it's $32.95 off the shelf.  Being he modern woman that I am I took out my handy dandy cell phone and looked on Amazon. $52.34-what the frack? Barnes and Noble online $27.75 & eligable for free shipping, okay a little better, but it's Labor Day weekend and I'll have to wait that extra day to get it so we're looking at maybe Wednesday delivery. Oh, what fresh hell is this? I am one of the cheapest, nay frugal, of girls. I love a deal, I don't buy anything full price if I don't have too. Yet this cookbook is speaking to me. "It's alright", it softly whispers. Then it reasons "When was the last time that you indulged yourself? That Clean Eating cookbook doesn't really count, that was for your health and that of your family. That wasn't an indulgence, that was necessary to the survival of your loved ones."  I nod my head yes, aren't I worth a measly $32.95? After all, I've started a food blog, this is really an investment....So I clutch my copy to my chest, as there are only 2 copies left, and I walk around and look at other things. I do this often because if I walk around long enough I can usually talk myself out of a purchase. "Aren't I pretty?" she whispers, "just flip through a few more pages.." Yeah, I think. Just flip through it again, that first blush of giddiness was just a fluke. I flipped through again. No, no it wasn't a fluke. Dang.  I walk slow to the cash wrap and of course there's no one in front of me so I'm rung up right away. No, I don't have a loyalty card, no I don't want to pay up yet more money than I intended to spend and sign up for your stinkin' club. Just swipe my dang card already! Saturday night, as I settle into bed to read through my new purchase she says "Now aren't you glad you brought me home?" Yes, yes I am. "Am I worth the price?" she asks lastly. Yeah, girlie you're worth the price...

No comments:

Post a Comment