Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Slow Cooker Beans




This is one of my family's favorite meals. I love it because it's one of those throw in the slow cooker and let it work it's magic recipes that doesn't take too much effort but tastes amazing. This makes your whole house smell like a southern wonderland. If you are home for a good deal of the day while this is cooking let me apologize now because the delicious smell may just drive you a little batty! Just try to refrain from eating hard half cooked beans because you couldn't take it any longer. 


The star of the show:
It's important that you get the package with the ham flavor packet.


I like to soak my beans in enough water to cover about 2 inches for about 5 minutes just to see if anything floats and then remove the floaters. Strain then put in slow cooker.


Ingredients:

1 small onion diced
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic (not pictured)
1 whole jalapeno (cut 3-4 slits in it)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 pork jowel/ham hock or if you're lucky the ham bone from a previously cooked ham
2 chicken bouillon cubes (not pictured)
Flavor packet from bean package
8 cups of water


Directions:

Put beans in and pour water over them. Add all of the ingredients in and give it a good stir to dissolve the flavor packet. Place the ham bone or jowl in and cover. 


Let it cook for 6-8 hours on low. I have never tried it on high for a shorter time so I can't vouch for how quickly these will cook on low but I would guess around 4 hours. 


Yummy-ness in a pot! We eat this with cornbread every time. It's a requirement. Hubby and the girls also have to have it over rice. I also fry turkey kielbasa to have on the side. 


Hubby's way 


My way...

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment