Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Little Paris Kitchen by Rachel Khoo



This is the first cookbook that I purchased as an eBook. Although the photographs are great and I do like some of the features that having an eBook allows, like clicking on a link within the book to move to a cited area, I'm not certain that I will buy many cookbooks in this form, there's just something about having a cookbook in hand for me. This is a sweet book with easy to follow recipes that are well laid out. However, if you are feeding a family of 4 consistently, especially if you have hearty eaters, many of these recipes will have to be adapted to feed more. There are quite a few 2 person recipes, the 4 person recipes would not feed my husband plus my girls, and there are even some that only serves 1. This is not marketed as a family friendly cookbook, so there's no bait and switch here, I just assumed that the recipes would feed at least 4. But you know what they say about assuming...The recipe that I've made and I enjoyed but it was a fail for the family is the Lemon and Lavender Chicken. I thought that it was lovely and the smell that filled the house while it was cooking was amazing, but alas the lavender flavor was a bit of a stretch for hubby & co. so I won't be making it again. However, there's a recipe for Burgundy Beef with Baguette Dumplings that I have my eye on to try. I think what will save this cookbook from being a bust for me will be the desserts, there's a recipe for a very simple creme brulee with my name on it. If you are looking for an introduction to French cooking this may very well be worth your while if you don't mind adjusting measurements, or are only feeding a very small family.

No comments:

Post a Comment